Home staircases can be dangerous for anybody, regardless of age. But while a younger person may end up with bumps, bruises or a broken bone after a bad fall, one slip can be very serious for senior citizens.
Mobility issues, the side effects of medication and vision problems can increase one’s risk of falling, especially as they navigate steps. In both the U.S. and Canada, between 20 percent and 30 percent of seniors will experience a fall this year, and with half of all homes housing at least one staircase, a life-changing injury can happen at any time.
The 1100 Straight Stairlift from Handicare was designed to make the struggle of climbing a staircase a thing of the past, providing seniors with more independence to move around their home each day. With its state-of-the-art design, the 1100 keeps your loved one safe and sound thanks to its industry-leading safety features:
- Patented multi-drive technology – The 1100’s multi-drive system keeps the stairlift operating at peak performance all the time, in the unlikely event of a motor issue you have three others to safely transport you up or down the stairs. Power outage? No need to worry, the batteries in the 1100 have enough power for at least 10 rides up and down the stairs.
- Intuitive braking system – With the 1100, your loved one is always in control of the drive. If an obstacle stands in their way, the 1100’s multiple safety sensors will automatically halt the stairlift, and in the event of the unexpected, an easily accessible emergency stop bottom is always in reach. Plus, Handicare designed the 1100 to eliminate the abrupt stops at the end of a ride that plague many stairlifts on the market.
- Automatic swivel seat – A stairlift is pointless if a senior can’t get in and out of the seat safely. Once they reach their destination, your loved one can hold the 1100’s user-friendly toggle switch in the direction of the landing to easily turn the seat 80 degrees for a more controlled departure.
- Retractable seatbelt – For maximum safety, the 1100 comes equipped with a retractable seatbelt that can be adjusted to fit most body sizes. Simple to do and undo, the belt provides added security when safely seated in the stairlift.
- Safer footrests – All 1100 models feature anti-slip footrests with a textured grip to provide greater traction when your loved one sits in or rises from their seat. An optional powered footrest upgrade allows riders to fold and unfold the footrest without having to bend down.
Discover the safety features of the 1100 Stairlift today
Twenty-five percent of adults age 65 and older have an ambulatory disability that makes climbing stairs difficult, if not impossible. Yet, if they need to get to a bedroom or bathroom on the second floor or require something from the basement, many seniors will risk their safety to get to where they want to be.
With Handicare’s 1100 Straight Stairlift, your loved one has the assistance they need to move around their home safely while still providing the independence every senior wants. For more information on the 1100, contact the Handicare team for an in-home consultation.